A healthy relationship is not only emotionally satisfying, it can also help you live longer. When people feel supported and cared for, the beneficial physical effects may include reduced blood pressure, heart rate, and lowered stress hormones. Even the immune system gets a boost. You may also make better decisions when you have another person to talk to and get a different point of view.
Building and maintaining a fulfilling relationship is not always easy in our busy lives, but is well worth the time and effort.
Here are tips to strengthen your bond:
- Plan time for your relationship on a regular basis. For couples, this may be a standing date night every week. The important thing is to make this time a priority.
- Surprise your partner with random acts of kindness. When was the last time you gave your partner a card or gift for no particular reason other than that you were thinking of them? Small things can mean a lot.
- Show appreciation. In a long-term relationship, it’s easy to take things for granted. Practice noticing the positives and thank your partner for the things they do to make your life easier. We all like to feel valued and appreciated.
- Share your thoughts and feelings. Being open and vulnerable can bring your relationship to a deeper level.
- Let go of past conflicts or slights. Avoid hanging on to the past and forgive your partner for mistakes.
Get started today!