Fitness: Adding More Activity to Your Life
Being active is one of the best things you can do to get fit and stay healthy. It helps you feel stronger and have more energy. It can help you lose fat, build muscle, and reach a healthy weight. Being active may also help you feel better, sleep better, and focus.
How do you get started with adding more activity?
Experts recommend at least 2½ hours of moderate activity, or 1¼ hours of vigorous activity each week to stay healthy. Here are some ideas that can help you get started.
- Work with your doctor to create a plan that is right for you.
- Make sure to start slowly. If you're not active at all, work up to it. Set small goals.
- Walking is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to get moving for most people.
- Keep track of the number of steps you take each day. You can use a phone app or a pedometer.
- It's fine to be active in shorter periods of time throughout your day and week that add up to the recommended goals.
- It's important to find activities that fit your lifestyle and your personality. Joining a group or a class can help keep you motivated. Many people find that everyday activities are easier to keep doing.
To Print this article:
Option 1: With your mouse, right click and select “Print.”
Option 2: With your keyboard, first press and hold down the “Ctrl” key or "Command" key, then press and hold down the “P” key.